Sunday, September 27

Project 1

COOKIES CAN HELP



What We Did:
Made 150 whole-wheat/oatmeal/chocolate chip cookies for a local soup kitchen.

How Long it Took:
Three hours total. Making/rolling dough: 1.5 hours. Bake time: 1.5 hrs.

How Much it Cost:
Between fifteen and twenty dollars.

Would We Do It Again?
Yes.


Next Time:

  1. Write down all multiplied ingredients before mixing. (We quintupled our recipe, so it got a little mathy.)
  2. Find a bigger mixing bowl or make smaller batches.
  3. Feed the kids something healthy before beginning.
References:
Go to
http://www.feedingamerica.org/ and enter your zip code in the locator section. That will give you info on the food bank closest to you. Contact the food bank and ask about partner agencies in your area and if any have soup kitchens. A food bank is like a central supply place where most food help places get food to give away.

10 comments:

  1. yes! you're doin' it! i like the format a lot. will contribute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/28/2009

    Awesome! I love this idea, Jaymie. Our long-term service project for the year flopped. We planted a ton of extra stuff for the food banks, but had massive crop failures (heat, gophers, and raccoons that were practically akin to the plagues of Egypt). Anyway, cookies seem like much more manageable. When I figure out our next project, I'll let you know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea, and look forward to more! Can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FANTASTIC. Posting the link on my facebook page right now.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it jaymie! love the idea, love the blog, love you!:) thanks for letting me know. i would love to participate.
    tt

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! I am excited to participate and will let you know of anything we do. Thanks for such an amazing idea ... I'll post about it on my blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jaymie,

    This is really cool. I just saw the email about your blog on our google email account that doesn't get checked very often. So great!

    Collins

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea, Jaymie. The cookies look yummy (they're my favorite kind!), and so nice that the children were able to be a part of it all. We will let you know of any good ideas that come our way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    I saw this on Stephanie's blog and love the idea. I can't believe how big the kids are. We will definitely participate.
    Lots of love-
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jaymie! I'm Autumn Koomen's friend from Mpls. She posted your blog on her FB, so I thought I'd check it out. I LOVE the concept and definitely want to participate and share ideas with you, your family and all of your 'followers'. Thanks for thinking of this great idea!!! Christine & family

    ReplyDelete